The global pandemic we are currently facing has undoubtedly shifted many of our routines leaving us to establish a new normal. This new normal looks different for each and every one of us. Maybe you are learning to cook, maybe you have no motivation to even go into the kitchen. Perhaps you are using this time to find new workouts, or maybe being alone has kept you on the couch watching Tiger King wondering if Carole Baskin did it. Whatever your new routine is or currently in the works of being, it is important to find a balance that allows you to stay connected to yourself and the bigger picture. This bigger picture could be a new years resolution which got pushed aside during all of the changes going on, a long term goal you have been working towards, or even just keeping yourself entertained so you don’t get too bored. Here, I will be providing 4 M’s (Meal, Movement, Meditation, Message) for you to explore during your time at home. These are intended as tools for you to use as you see fit. Try a new meal! Do an at home workout! Take time to breath and connect! Send me messages or good news that you have found encouraging during this time. Please, feel free to modify these to your own convenience and email me with suggestions, ideas, and any comments.
MEAL: Hidden Vegetable Mac & Cheese (adapted from Tasty.com)
Ingredients (about 6 servings):
- 1 lb elbow macaroni, cooked al dente
- ½ cup water
- 1.5 cups butternut squash, diced
- 1.5 cups carrot, sliced
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4oz cream cheese (I use 8oz to make it extra creamy)
- Flour (as needed)
- Add water, butternut squash, and carrots in a pot over medium heat. Cover and cook until vegetables are tender.
- Add everything into a blender, including cooking water, and blend until smooth.
- Return blended vegetables to the pot over medium heat, and add the milk, cheese, and cream cheese. Stir until smooth.
- Add flour as needed to thicken sauce to your liking.
- Add cooked macaroni, reduce heat, mix thoroughly, and cover for 20 minutes.
MOVEMENT: At home body weight circuit
4 rounds, 3 minute rest between each round.
ROUND 1: BLOOD FLOW ROUND
- 1 min jumping jacks
- 1 min push ups
- 1 mins high knees
- 1 min burpees
ROUND 2: DYNAMIC ROUND
- 30 tuck-jumps (squats if you can’t do them)
- 30 plank shoulder taps each shoulder
- 30 mountain climbers or high knees
- 30 side lungs each side
ROUND 3: HOLD ROUND
- SALLY UP SALLY DOWN (look up song on youtube) or wall sit for 1 minute
- Plank hold (1 minute)
- Side plank hold (1 minute each side)
ROUND 4: BURNER
- 30 squats
- 30 jump squats
- 30 lungs (each side)
- 30 jump lungs (each side)
MEDITATION: Phone Note Reflections
Take 10 minutes (either on your phone notes app, or just with a pen and paper) to write down something you have found challenging over the past week or so. Express why you found it challenging and ways in which you can address it. Next write something you have done well, or something you would like to do better over the next week. Close the app or put away the paper, and reevaluate next week. Read your reflections and add on to them, or start new with another weekly reflection.
MESSAGE: Reach out for help (adapted from numerous facebook posts)
If you are currently stuck in isolation with someone who is abusive, send me an email (email@example.com) asking if I’m still selling t-shirts. I won’t pry or ask for any information beyond what you share with me. I will know to keep checking in with you. If you message specifically about a “cotton t-shirt”, I will ask for your address (“for shipping”) and contact law enforcement for you. You are not alone. Please don’t suffer in silence and wait until it’s too late. Call the domestic abuse hotline at any time +1(800)799-7233 or visit https://www.thehotline.org/help/.